25 September 2010

Wardrobe Challenge Days 1-5





Here's a look at what I have been wearing for the first few days of this little challenge. (Day 5 was exactly the same as day 4!) A few observations to note:

- I'm enjoying the lack of choice so far, I'm finding a sense of freedom almost in having such a limited selection, if that makes sense?
- So far I have been happy to repeat outfits, and in 5 days I wore the same t shirt and cardigan 3 times! I was seeing different groups of people which helped, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this at work when I see the same group of people everyday.
- Its made me realise how messy/clumsy I am and I have had to do more washing than usual, in fact I don't think I have any clean clothes left for tomorrow!
- I was very tempted to cheat today, I was meeting a friend for lunch and didn't feel that any of my 10 items were smart enough so I added a necklace and wore heels which somewhat redeemed my boring jeans and tee.
- Unfortunately it hasn't stopped me thinking about what I need to add to my wardrobe, and if anything wearing my 2 pairs of jeans (1 skinny, 1 very old straight leg pair) has convinced me that I need a new pair! I have also failed miserably at not online browsing, although I haven't bought anything. Oh well, baby steps eh.

I'll post an update shortly on how the final 5 days have gone.

2 comments:

  1. I love how in the first picture you can switch up the feel of an outfit with a change of shoes. That's exactly the kind of easy dressing I like. I don't think it's cheating to add some accessories so that you look right for an occasion - it's the practical and probably polite thing to do :)

    Not having to choose is definitely liberating - it's actually the reason why I want to buy less because I don't want that feeling of being trapped by too much. I shop all the time, online and off, but I'm learning how to like things without want to own them.

    I have close to 20 pairs of jeans, so I'm probably not the best person to tell you that a third pair is not at all extravagant. I say if you're dissatisfied with a current pair and find some are superior, replacing the inferior ones is still in keeping with the minimalist spirit of a small, well-curated wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin, its exactly the kind of dressing I like too, I've been pleasantly surprised about how easy it is to change the feel of an outfit just by switching a scarf, shoes or bag. I'm starting to realise that you can do a lot with a few well chosen basics.

    Liberating is the right word, and I've realised that limited choice actually feels freeing in many ways. I agree and I don't want that feeling of being trapped by too much stuff either. Learning to appreciate but not own an item is something I need to work on as I struggle with the feeling of seeing something online or on someone else and feeling like I must have it!

    I have probably bought and got rid of 20 pairs of jeans over the last few years! I have issues finding jeans I like and currently only have 3 pairs of jeans, I am constantly on the hunt for the elusive perfect pair.

    ReplyDelete