This year, for the first time in a long time, I haven't made any new years resolutions. As someone who loves writing lists of any kind, and loves planning and setting myself challenges and goals, this is pretty unusual for me. However with the imminent arrival of our first baby, I think my main resolution this year will echo the war time motto to 'keep calm and carry on'. I don't think this is really the time for learning a new language, changing career, taking a road trip around america (all have featured on previous years lists!). I just want to enjoy my time off work with our new baby as much as possible, and try not to set my expectations too high.
That said, I can't resist an excuse to make a list so I figured I might make some style resolutions for the coming year. These are all in addition to my goals which I've written about before on the blog, to do with creating a minimalist wardrobe. So here are my style resolutions for 2010:
- Don't overthink things. This will be difficult for me, seeing as I am an overly analytical person by nature, but I want getting dressed to be more effortless this year. I get fixated on the small details sometimes but I want to try and achieve a better balance this year and be more relaxed about what I wear without compromising or settling. I think that once I get to the stage where I love everything in my wardrobe then this will be much easier as I won't have to compromise by wearing things I'm not happy with or comfortable in.
- Be braver. This is an extension of the above resolution - I want to trust my instincts more and stop second guessing myself. I know what styles I like and what works for me, and I need to stop worrying about what other people think of me. An extension of this is that I want to stop being so critical of myself and be more accepting, I also want to have more confidence in, and stop doubting myself when it comes to style.
- Don't settle. This is something that I've been guilty of doing in the past although recently I have definetely improved on this. This year I want to become more discerning, and only buy something if I love it. My budget will be restricted this year so I really need to think long and hard about each purchase, there's no room for the 'almosts' or 'maybes', I want perfection.
- Define/Refine my style. I think that I'm nearly there with this, but I can easily get sidetracked by outside influences and other peoples style and want to adopt it as my own. I realise that personal style doesn't exist in a vacuum and inevitably it will be shaped by external influences, but 'I think for me there is a very fine line between making subtle shifts, tweaking and fine tuning my style, and making additions to my wardrobe which enhance my style versus getting carried away, and feeling the urge to make complete transformation' (repeated from a post last year).
- Finally, get a pixie cut. I want to go from this (my current, rather boring hairstyle):
To something like this (photo of Carey Mulligan from Google Images):
Update: I can now tick this one off the list as I've just had my hair cut into a similar style as the one above! I think it will take a little time to get used to it, but so far I like it.